Friday, April 22, 2016

Asparagus

This is the first post in my series highlighting spring vegetables and fruits in season that are on my food plan.  





Qualities:

  • Full of vitamins A, C, E and K
  • High in fiber, folate and chromium
  • Rich in glutathione (a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and other harmful compounds)
  • Packed with antioxidants
  • Works with B12 to help prevent cognitive decline
  • Natural diuretic

Preparation:

  • Rinse
  • Break off woody stalk at natural breaking point
  • Can be eaten raw 
  • Roast or pan fry
I love asparagus just about any way you prepare it but I'm partial to it being roasted.  Tim didn't think he liked asparagus. I don't blame him since all he ever had was the chopped kind from a can.  I am going to share one of my favorite ways to fix asparagus and the only way my husband likes to eat it.  



  • 1 bunch of asparagus (about a pound)
  • Garlic powder
  • Olive oil (I prefer the light tasting kind)
Rinse the asparagus and snap off the hard woody ends at the natural breaking point and discard.



Place the remaining stalks in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray (I use my well seasoned iron skillet).


Sprinkle with garlic powder and then lightly drizzle with the olive oil.  


Set the heat to medium high and cover with a lid.  


Stir frequently and remove from the heat when asparagus gets tender and starts to brown, about 15-20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment